Thursday, May 22, 2014

Come to Me....as a child

As I was reading Ann Voskamp's book 1000 gifts, I came across something she wrote on page 54 that literally stopped me in my faith tracks.
 "I forget Eden and naming and nails, and it all seems just a bit....juvenile.  Contrived." 
She was talking about the feelings of foolishness and juvenile-ness that come up in the middle of this experiment of counting to 1000 gifts, this practice of Eucharisteo. 


I think, "yes, I have experienced this voice of ...almost shaming." Then I realize, when I'm following The Lord, stepping out in literally anything new, the adult, the reasonable voice comes into my heart and mind. It says, "Stop this foolishness, stop this crazy childlike behavior, this vulnerability....ahhhh  there it is ....vulnerable. None of us like to feel vulnerable, exposed. but isn't that the essence of being childlike? 
It's true, there is a vulnerable aspect to this faith walk. Jesus says to believe without seeing. It feels like a game of blindfold sometimes. He said this to Thomas, the doubter and to Keely, the reticent, blessed are you who believe even though you haven't seen me. (John 20:29)

I am suddenly feeling like The Lord is pulling back the veil for me on another of His kingdom secrets and it leaves me feeling so excited. I even find part of this mystery in my very favorite chunk of scripture. Yes, you guessed it Matthew 11. Woo Hoo! (Look to the left of the margin and to the title of this blog). Just three verses prior is this fabulous find! It's sub heading is 
"Jesus' prayer of Thanksgiving" (wouldn't that be classified as Eucharisteo?)
Matthew 11:25"At that time Jesus prayed this prayer: “O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, thank you for hiding these things from those who think themselves wise and clever, and for revealing them to the childlike. Yes, Father, it pleased you to do it this way!" 
As I walk in childlike vulnerability, I'm feeling myself become more filled with faith and more courage to step out. But, as far as this vulnerable faith walk, I'm thinking, "Lord, how far do you want me to take this attitude? In what areas of my life would you like me to apply this?"

I feel the Holy Spirit instantly whisper into my heart, "Your love walk."  
How do I  break that concept down in the areas that are right where I live every day?

FORGIVE FASTER AND WITHOUT STIPULATIONS AND LOVE QUICKER WITHOUT RESERVATION

The "adult voice says, I will forgive, but I cannot forget. I'm thinking, "Lord if I forgive, they'll just do it again!"  Jesus responds instantly with an affirmative. Yes they will do it again and probably 70 times 7 more times.  (Matt 18:22) . My forgiveness does not hinge on the security of knowing they will not ever offend again. It depends solely on the unconditional love and complete forgiveness Jesus offers me every moment of every day. Over and over, again and again with abandon and with love. Unreal! Crazy!  Childlike?  
Forgiving and loving like this are both perfect examples of me letting go of self protection and choosing to trust God with my well being.

Just like I'm practicing Eucharisteo, I am practicing love and forgiveness...Jesus style.  
Along with this choice to step out in faith and follow Jesus like a child in the areas of the heart, comes right on the heels of this decision the voice of cynicism. For example, in the area of relationships, if I'm hurt it's just plain easier to stay out of the sandbox, to isolate and keep a measured distance, whereas a child jumps back in and asks the next kid to be his friend. 

Adult Cynicism vs. Childlike vulnerability. Self protection vs. trust in God
Look at these concepts...which ones bring joy, delight?  God tells me that in Him I find joy and that if I delight in Him,  He will give me the desires of my heart. (Psalm 37:4) These are promises for all of His children!  It's like a double positive! I let God love me with abandon and enjoy Him and I get to be even more blessed with everything I truly desire! 

I want to live my life differently in light of this truth. Instead of measuring everything...what time is it, how long do I have, what have I accomplished today, how much will it cost, how many calories have I eaten, what's my budget. ...Jesus says to live in the "unforced rhythms of grace"and not get all worked up about time and productivity, not to worry about the things that unbelievers chaff over. 
Matt 6:31-33
"So don’t worry about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?’These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.
I might even err on the side of loving too much, on the side of forgiving too often and too easily. I might laugh too loud or cry too hard or waste time just to listen to and be closer to another.  I might just end up believing Him to the point of childlike faith and vulnerability and maybe even looking foolish....or being part of a miracle.

Again I'm reminded that the Kingdom ways are so opposite of the ways of this world. 

The way to climb up the ladder in the Kingdom with Jesus, is to get lower and serve. 
Matthew 23:11-12The greatest among you shall be your servant. Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted
The way to mature in the Spirit is to become more humble like a child. 
Matt 18:4 So anyone who becomes as humble as this little child is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven.  
I can risk it all when I know how loved I am. He is so very lavish with me! If He does take something away He will care for it or them until this time of living on this earth (the classroom) is over. It's so short and so temporary. Gods got me, I need not fear or self protect or make for myself. 

My personal prayer:
I love you Abba. It's another uncovered mystery! It's an olive branch of hope and it leads to excitement and joy and more love and more forgiveness and more delight!  I love you as you explode into my heart with your truths! Thank you for giving me another olive branch to fly back to the ark with! To my bible study sistas who, like me, need encouragement and a new hope. 

Your prayer and reflection questions for the week:

1) Where is God asking your heart to step out in Him, to follow Him in childlike abandon, but you just feel like it would leave you too vulnerable? 
2)Ask Him to transform you and to grow your trust in Him. 
3) Find the gift in the possibility...write it/them

I love you
Keely


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please send me your thoughts, prayers and comments!